Favorite Links


Sierra College

Woodland High School

Woodland Chamber Singers


Larsson Marine

Marine Covers and Enclosures

  - In Canvas

Marinas to stop and visit

Lagoon Cove Marina

Sullivan Bay Marina

Blind Channel Resort

Informational websites

Pat's Boating in Canada

National Data Buoy Center

BC Marine Weather

Rockfish Conservation Areas
U. S. Customs and Border Protection

WiFi on your boat made simple!

  - Land & Sea WiFi

Master Gardener Yolo County

John & Rebecca Pratt's
New Nautical Adventures

updated Thursday, August 15, 2013

Home Again, Home Again... jiggityjog!

When we left La Conner this morning, we were hoping to catch currents going our way. It was amazing the different wildlife that we saw, as we headed south in the Swinnomish Channel! First picture shows the true colors' of Rebecca's school... orange! Next is a reflection of working boats at a pier. Amongst the multitude of heron sightings we also saw three deer, walking through the yards', of houses alongside the channel; another deer was walking by himself and chewing on the salty seaweed at the waters' edge. The most amazing sighting, was of a wolf walking along the shore. At this point, we really wished we had a long distance camera to capture the view.

Fox Cove

After leaving Clam Bay, finally, we ventured on down to Prevost Harbor on Stuart Islands trying to contact the appropriate Customs Office via cell phone. No such luck. Ended up going east, to get a better cell phone signal in order to clear ourselves with US Customs. When the signal strength became strong enough, we realized we might as well go to Sucia Island and ended up on a buoy in Fox Cove. After an extra long day on the water with just coffee to sustain us, eggs and hash sure hit the spot!

Clam Bay anchorage

It was unbelievable, the BALL of stuff that came up on our anchor when we tried to leave on the morning of the 12th. Kept maneuvering the boat from different angles trying to raise it; and major resistance from the other end!!! Ended up having to cut away all of the various lines that were wrapped around the anchor flukes. Never had this problem before and have anchored here many times. There were boats anchored all around us, and they were definitely watching our dance over the water as we cut ourselves free!

Going through Dodd Narrows

Bit of current on the south side of Dodd Narrows, but really nice to have things flowing your way! Few whirlpools, as well, as the waters try and figure out 'which' way they are going next. The rock formation on the walls, prior to entering Dodd Narrows and across from Nanaimo, are incredibly beautiful. Also saw at least four different log booms traveling north but was only close enough to get a picture of one that showed the kind of preparation necessary for the tugs to take it through a chokepoint such as Dodd Narrows. One tug is pulling and one is on the west side of the log boom, typically for northbound, to help steer it around the corner within Dodd Narrows. Interesting!

Crossing Georgia Straits

It was a good day to cross the straits, even though the waves were three foot swells when we started out from Secret Cove. There were no whitecaps on top and that meant that it wouldn't keep building up and crossing our beam with an outgoing tide and a southwest breeze. We did scurry across, however, not wanting to take a chance that it might change it's mind; weather has been known to do that a few times! Was nice to have a cloud cover and not deal with the sun, on top of everything else.

Secret Cove and departure

View from anchorage in Secret Cove, after trying to find a place to drop a hook in Smuggler Cove. Way too many boats and at a low tide, made it even more challenging. Everyone was stern tied to shore, as well. This was not going to work! We ended up having a prime location just inside the harbor, in Secret Cove, and our timing was really good. Several boats came in after we did, circled around, and then left again including a sailboat that had just pulled it's hook in Smuggler Cove as we had entered and extremely narrow passage. Should have taken a picture of what it looked like, but we were too busy keeping the boat safely transversing away from ALL rocks! So, the next morning we have and incredible sky as we leave the harbor with John making sure that there are no rocks in the passage, after pulling the anchor.

Left Big Bay and heading for Smuggler's Cove

Left Big Bay at 5:51 pm and arrived at Smugglers Cove around 1:35 pm. Long day on the water and very sunny, in the 80s. Whew! That didn't work. Currently anchored in Secret Cove while waiting for the winds to die down, so that we can cross Georgia Strait. Early morning and great anchorage right across from the fuel dock. We tried Smugglers Cove but it was FULL of boats anchored with every one having a stern line ashore in order to not swing on each other. Came over to Secret Cove and got here just in time. Several other boats came in after we did and looked around, then left not seeing any more viable anchorage spots. Whew!
Looking back at Yuculta Rapids that we went through with current going our direction. John on bridge with the Yuculuta Rapids behind him. Looking east towards Raza Island and Deer Passage. Heading down Calm Channel and looking to Lewis Channel with Refuge Cove on the other side.

Lagoon Cove and down Johnstone Strait

Having stopped overnight in Lagoon Cove to fuel up and say goodbye for the summer to Bob and Pat, we headed out to travel down Chatham Channel, around Broken Islets and thus down Johnstone Strait. Fog came down in the Strait and we ran on radar, plus electronic charts. Can never have too much backup in the fog. From the pictures, appears to be overcast and gloomy kind of day, but still really beautiful on the water. The fog lays behind us in the pictures below. Low tide ranges from 9:30 a.m., and later, as we progress up Sunderland Channel. Hmmmm.... once we get to Big Bay, for the night, it appears that we have entered the 'sunny weather' zone!

Sullivan Bay Fishing Derby results and Potentate

First picture shows the board, according to whom caught what. Wasn't able to get a really good picture due to the sun hitting it just at the wrong angle. First place halibut weighed in at 48 pounds, first place salmon weighed in at 18 pounds and the third category was 'an undiclosed weight' that wouldn't be known until after the derby was over. We entered a 19 pound halibut, and definitely had a long way to go to beat Ross' 48 pound halibut. Well, when the cards were pulled for the 'undisclosed weight'.... it was a face card and a number 9...totaled up, makes 19!!! That was us!!!

On last fishing trip with Peterson's, the 'unkown' fish showed up again on Chris' line. The next picture is Penphrase Passage, outside of Shawl Bay and it was foggy traveling for a little while. Cleared up, as shown in the next picture in Cramer Passage. Beautiful day on the water.
There's that 'unknown' fish, again!!! Scenery picture on the back side of Sullivan Bay. Penphrase Passage Cramer Passage

Friends and Sullivan Bay Fishing Derby

We were relaxing on the docks, getting chores done, including laundry, when unexpected faces showed up outside our boat! Loren and Erin are friends from Seattle, WA and we have had a couple of nice days, visiting with them. Also, the Sullivan Bay Fishing Derby is a two day event on August 3rd and 4th. First day, John hooks a really nice halibut, weighing 19 pounds! Yes!
Loren and Erin showed up on their boat, a 52 foot boat named 'Potentate'; built in 1952. A nice 19 pound halibut to enter in the derby, although, when we got back to the dock we found out that Ross has just entered a 48 lb halibut! Rebecca and Erin, getting ready to clean and fillet the halibut. Halibut in the boat after hooking and harpooning it safely!

Ratfish on the dock

It is amazing the things caught in the sea! This is a ratfish, known for it's name due to having front teeth just like a big rat, and this one was caught off the docks in Sullivan Bay. After pictures were taken, it was put back in the water. If possible, would have taken a picture as it swam down in the water and it's side fins are almost like wings. Beautiful, but ugly!

Getting ready for derby

Back in Sullivan Bay, having an opportunity to catch up with Pete and Gail while waiting for floatplane to come in. Also, looking at a 35 lb lingcod hanging on the hook. Guess Rebecca's isn't even close! Yet!
John is sitting in front of the the golf tee where people can try to hit a 'hole-in-one' and earn a free night of moorage. Waiting for floatplane. Out in the dinghy, Rebecca caught and netted her own lingcod! This is a 35 lb. lingcod that someone else caught. Patrick's 32 lb is very impressive, but don't have a picture to show yet. Mary, John, Gail and Pete waiting in the sun for a very late floatplane. Fog factor kept it sitting in Kenmore, Washington until 1:30 pm; the plane was supposed to arrive in Sullivan Bay around 12:30 pm! Showed up around 4:30 pm!

Meanwhile, three guys went fishing in a skiff. Views on the water show what a wonderful place this is for exploring new horizons, for young people.
Chris, Patrick and Peter are in the skiff heading out to catch the 10:51 a.m. tide to catch a big one. Patrick already has a 32 lb lingcod under his belt last week! Amazing sight from biggest to smallest, just had to take a picture of this record catch! Way to go guys! Peaceful scene on the water and a very calm morning it is with the Peterson's grandsons, gone fishing! Back at the docks, three guys are waiting for their mom to arrive on the floatplane. Note... fishing poles in hand! All three were either jigging, or fly fishing, while waiting for a very late plane!

On to Claydon Bay

Weather changes and looking for new places to visit with Mary, we moved on to Claydon Bay.
Seal splashing the water trying to stun a school of fish while looking for a meal. View from the boat while traveling on a gorgeous day. A lucky shot of a ruby throated loon, in Claydon Bay. They were singing away! Will have to do a little more research to identify this interesting looking fish that Patrick caught. Returned him to the water as soon as picture was taken.

In two different locations in Claydon Bay, you can view the old loggers' tracks that they used to get logs into the water. A closer view of the other set of old loggers' tracks. John and Mary, out in the dinghy, exploring Claydon Bay and Grappler Sound. One can actually see the whale, coming out of the woods, getting ready to enter the water!

Adventures at Dickson Island

Decided to visit Dickson Island, a great anchorage on the east side of the island.
Amazing, the size of the sea urchins. WOW! Now this is a sea anenome that is hanging upside down and is closed. Underneath is a crawling sea cucumber! I have never been able to figure out what this orange critter is but see them everywhere, including on my hook when hung up on the bottom while fishing. Sea urchin, along with a couple of the unknown critters that appear to be filter feeders.

The size of the barnacles, at a really low tide, are mind boggling, and this one was trying to get ahold of a whelk! A unique view from the kayak. A starfish on the wall, was unique in the thickness of its legs. Almost looks like it's waving at us as it is hanging around waiting for the tide to rise. Many seagulls looking for nibbles on a rock that is only visible at this incredibly low tide.

Two gumboot chitons are in the middle of the picture a deep brown, with tints of red. They have a big foot on their underside, that keeps them attached to the rocks. Eagle pictures using iPad, inside waterproof protector; tends to grey the pictures a little.

Out kayaking around Dickson Island, inside the bay we anchor, and happened on a couple of sandpipers walking on the beach.


Nice greenling, caught by Rebecca and first halibut for the summer, caught outside of Sullivan Bay.
Nice greenling and according to local expert, the female version. A very tasty fish and delicate. First halibut of the summer and between hooking and harpooning, were able to safely get in on board in the dinghy. Sullivan Bay has an awesome fish cleaning station which really comes in handy with the halibut.  Scales showed this one to weigh 17 pounds!

Kayaking with Peterson's

Patrick and Peter went kayaking with Mary and Rebecca on the inside of Atkinson Island. What a delightful trip for the ladies with two young gentlemen. Earlier, all of the Peterson gentlemen were on board including Gpa Pete, Peter, Patrick and Chris as they were seated aroung the table with John.

John and Rebecca had an opportunity today to set their halibut record straight with a nice 'chicken' halibut of 17 pounds. Tender and a lot of meat on those bones. A good day fishing, to say the least. Also, interesting reading on the tail of a helicopter, when it flew in on the day we spotted the black bear on the beach. You think we might know that THAT end is dangerous?!!!! LOL!

Bear in Sullivan Bay and eagles

Ran back over to Sullivan Bay in order to take care of a few things and get the house batteries at least a good overnight charge to rebuild them up solidly. Genset has been working great but with prawns and fish getting frozen, it was taking a lot of time to get it back down to minus 8 degrees. Looking at heading to Drury Inlet, maybe (hopefully) catch a halibut or a lingcod or two. We'll see! Meanwhile, in the dinghy Mary finally got to see a bear and get some pictures. This one was wandering around the backside of Sullivan Bay. Friends had mentioned seeing it pretty regularly and voila, there it was walking along the beach, turning over rocks and looking for something to eat. Of course, we stayed in the dinghy!

Second opportunity for eagle picture taking!

Travels on the water and scenery

Settling in and relaxing around the Broughton Archipelagos, has provided interesting scenery, along with unusual fishing, prawning, crabbing, etc. Mary and Rebecca continue getting out and about kayaking, especially with the arrival of sunny weather. Tuesday through Thursday was really warm and sunny, which also brought out the normal pests, i.e. black flies, no-see-ums, and mosquitoes (where's that flyswatter?). We have yet to spot black bears, but the eagles have shown up from time to time; as you can see from earlier pictures. It is amazing the things one can see while in a location surrounded by water, rocks and trees. John was captured netting an incredibly big yelloweye! Whew! Glad that one made it into the bucket, even if it didn't fit! At end of the day, three yelloweyes on board and Rebecca is holding up her big one. That was the big guy in the net that John made sure didn't get off the hook at the last minute! Great picture Mary! Rebecca is also holding up all of the catch of the day.

Turnbull Cove, in the evening, provides an incredible view of the entrance as the setting sun is reflecting on the hills around us.

Out kayaking, we ran across some interesting looking crabs and wanted to take a couple of pictures to show the incredible variety. These, and the tubeworms were found in the Roaringhole Rapids, when it was slack so that it was easy to scoot in on kayaks and get back out without dealing with turbulent waters. Looked like the seagulls were carrying on a conversation as we traveled by, and wanted to take a picture for the records!

Another unique picture of a bird on a log, in Sullivan Bay. Don't know what this one is but great picture Mary. Skipper duties are many and of an interesting variety that include keeping the boat running, shipshape, and everything stored away safely when underway. Mary saw an eagle on the bow and took several pictures, having to ask the skipper to pause for a photo, in order to get a good shot!

As we rounded the corner looking up towards Mt. Stevens and Roaringhole Rapids, it is always breathtaking to see it once again.

Mary snuck around the back side of the laundry building, trying to catch this heron unawares! Nice shots!

early morning Heron

Had a chance to watch a heron, up close, looking for breakfast. As you can see, this one sure knows how to step along the dock!

Eagle on the water

Beautiful pictures of eagle picking up fish off the surface of the water

Pete and grandson

Mary met Pete over coffee in the morning and sharing a lot of "fish" stories. Pete sure has some whoppers, um, I mean 'really' good ones! Sure enjoy hearing them and within the stories is history of this area. On fishing expedition, grandson Patrick caught the only lingcod, but it wasn't a 'three hand' spread and so was released. Also had opportunity to enjoy the harbor porpoises, taking many pictures.
Mary met Pete for the first time and got to learn 'real' fish stories and laugh a lot. Nice ling cod but not big enough to keep. Patrick did want to make sure he had a picture to prove. Pete has taught his grandsons to drive the boat and he can sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride! Patrick is a very good driver and is focused on looking out for logs, etc. Great job Patrick!

Sullivan Bay stay

Getting a few things done included catching up on cooking all the crab caught and a little sight seeing for Mary.

Hoy Bay

Spent time anchored in Hoy Bay and it is a beautiful location in the Hopetown Passage next to a little island.

Left Turnbull Cove after pulling all the pots and decided to check out anchorage in Hoy Bay. As we left, Mary took a nice picture of the Roaringhole Rapids.

Rainbow in Turnbull Cove

Relaxing after dinner and a beautiful, full rainbow appeared when the sun momentarily broke through the clouds.


Our first lingcod for the summer and it is a beauty! WOW! Love this fishing!

Turnbull kayaking

Kayaking trip gave Mary an opportunity to see many things that she has never experienced before. They left at 9:00 a.m. and didn't return until after 12 p.m. Now that's what you call 'a good day on the water'!

Turnbull Cove

Getting set up to do prawning, crabbing, and fishing; as you can see there were crabs in the pot and fish on the table for dinner. Anchorage is a peaceful location and although everyone kept a sharp eye peeled, no sight of bears yet. Even the eagles are not flying around like we usually see them, especially when we are out fishing the monkey face. Hmmm... could be related.

Traveling to Turnbull Cove

Stopped at Sullivan Bay to pick up a few necessities, say hello to friends, and then left for Turnbull Cove to drop prawn pots and anchor. "Bella" was in Sullivan and decided to come with us and anchor out as well. Wonderful!

Cooking and looking for black bears

John finished up cooking all the Dungeness crabs, after we released all of the box crabs. They are amazing looking crabs, that's for sure. Mary took a picture of John, while he was getting ready to cook crabs. However, it was Dungeness, not Box crabs that he was cooking. As you can see, the boxes were running down the dock (more or less) to escape the hot pot. It was an amazing catch of 12 box crabs in one pot. Have never seen that before. Heard that the box crabs were good eating but sure looks like a lot to get through their shells. Maybe next time!

Met a wonderful couple on the MV named "Bella" in Lagoon Cove, and they are such a positive and happy couple. Heard they've been married for 51 years! Way to go! We had a chance to go kayaking with both Don and Diane, looking for more black bears. Diane wanted to take Don to the lagoon where she had seen four bears, yesterday, with Mary and Rebecca. This time Don had Carlos on board with him and Diane was in our inflatable kayak. After carrying the kayaks up the little outlet (yep, low tide and all of that stuff!!!) they paddled around with Carlos on board with Don. Nope, no bears today! Great scenery, however, and wonderful time chatting on the way back, when we weren't being quiet while looking for bears, that is!

4th of July in Shawl Bay

Unsure of the name for the long skinny one, but the short and stubby one is the 'box crab'. What a unique catch in our crab pots. Where are those Dungeness crabs we are looking for??? Will have to try a new location.

Ladies getting together to take off! Diane from the boat named 'Bella', joined Mary and Rebecca for a trip to see bears. They saw them! Just couldn't get any pictures. Guess we have to take their word for it! Mama bear with two cubs and then a big bear by itself in a little lagoon. All black bears, no grizzlies.

On the boat, John is taking care of some different duties, with the ladies out of his hair, and while going about his jobs he happens to catch an interesting photo of another floathome, or you might even say it is a small cabin; being moved on the water from one location to another. Hmmm.... wonder where Loren (current owner of Shawl Bay) is planning to put this puppy?

Mary and Rebecca immediately hopped into their kayaks to go see what else they could discover in this unique location. Needless to say, a floathome in the water, um, not on; is a tragedy of time and wear. It definitely takes a lot to keep things 'shipshape' and secure even on floathomes.

Shawl Bay

Needed to do some laundry so we were off for Shawl Bay. Left Lagoon Cove at 7:10 a.m. and pulled into Shawl Bay at 10:34 a.m. after traveling 27.8 nautical miles. We came north via Spring Passage, avoiding Brown's Rock at a healthy distance and after having the incoming current initially against us while coming down Knight's Inlet, once we were through Spring Passage it was easy water going our way. We try to time it so that as we are coming into Shawl Bay, the boat's that are departing have just left, thus leaving room at the dock for us. Works pretty well. While out catching fish, had a chance to snap shots of more eagles.

Al, off the boat named 'Scrambler', was so excited when he caught this nice looking yelloweye we could hear him hollering a long distance away when we were dropping a couple of crab pots! Nice Catch, Al!!! Met up with Carol, also known as "The Bead Lady" and pictures are of her and her husband's beautiful home. This year she is doing business from her floathome and there is a nice dock to pull up and tie at, even for bigger boats in the 40 and 50 foot range. Saw a huge boat there, when we pulled in yesterday. That's her standing up in her boat and how she gets around in Shawl Bay.

Bakery in Chatham Channel

Rebecca and Mary had a chance to go around to Jennie Rucker's Bakery in Chatham Channel and came back with huge cinnamon rolls, loaf of delicious rye bread (Rebecca's favorite), muffins, two kinds of cookies and one handmade vest. We won't say who bought the vest but it sure looks good. Oh, also bought two t-shirts. We discovered that Jen is an artist, you can see her drawings on the wall in the pictures behind Jen and Mary; she also makes vests and sweaters with incredible colors knitted into the using some really nice feeling different types of yarn made from silk and other special fabric. So soft to the touch. Jen also has a post office and would love to have boaters stop by anytime. The eagle was going somewhere so quickly we couldn't get it to hang around for a picture. Maybe better luck on another day. Also, sandwich is a 'Rebecca special'!

Canada Day in Lagoon Cove

Between checking our crabpots, cracking crab already caught, helping out where possible in getting ready for Canada Day, and just relaxing; it has been a pretty full day. Crab race at 3 and Bob and Pat were busy putting numbers on the racers! Jean was taking a break from baking, to come join the fun. Mary's crab, #22, was in the final heat but must have run out of gas because it just sat in the middle after the gates were raised, and never moved; whilst all the other crabs were madly scrambling around trying to find the finish line. They all had an equal opportunity and it was #18, who crossed first. There was a close contestant, but it's legs were just a little shorter and couldn't reach as far as the winner. Turned out that Mary's crab was growing a new claw and therefore was a little 'clawless' on how to come in first!!! LOL
Bob is busy hauling up water to keep crabs oxygenated for the races! Bob and Pat were busy tagging all of the crabs and creating a day of fun for boaters. Jean Barber has been busy all morning baking her wonderful bread and cakes for Canada potluck which was held at 6 pm. Flags are out and a beautiful day as well, in Lagoon Cove on Canada Day.

Currently, all of the crabs are in the pot, getting ready for the races. Later, they will be in the 'hot' pot, getting ready for dinner! Race track and may the best man (er...crab) win.  By the way, they are all males, due to all females have to be released if caught in crabpot! The winner may get to go free, or may be in the pot with the rest, for dinner.

Local bears welcoming all boaters to Lagoon Cove, not sure who the little white bear is supposed to represent! Local prawns giving everyone the 'eyeball' once over! Gorgeous location, Lagoon Cove, and the views are all around us and hard to catch them all on camera.

Lagoon Cove and sunny weather has arrived, going crabbing!

Mary met Diane on the boat named "Bella" that is tied directly behind us, in Lagoon Cove. They have a mutual friend named Karen in New Braunfels, Texas. What a small world.
Diane and Mary have a mutual friend named Karen in News Braunfels, Texas and are meeting up here in Lagoon Cove, B.C.; what a small world, eh?!!! tinky stuff, but the crabs sure do love it! Go figure!!! Hmmm.... I wonder who is driving the dinghy if John is on the big boat and Rebecca is baiting the crabpot? See the sunny weather?

Lagoon Cove and rainy day activities!

Now Mary and Rebecca are helping Jean in the garden, busy deadheading flowers along the walkway in the rain. Deadheading??? Hmmm... what's up ladies?

Mary's initiating into prawn 'deheading', went very smoothly, aside from friendly squirts that happen in the process. The biggest challenge for Mary, was getting past the eyeballs looking at her! Jean was very helpful in showing Mary the correct way to do it, and since the prawns were already soaked in fresh water, they were no longer alive. Makes it easier to hold on to these wiggling critters, that's for sure.
Jean, Rebecca, and Mary; note Mary's expression! She's really not sure about this. Extra help on how to do the 'twist' prior to removing the head. Mary is paying close attention! Now Mary is getting really focused and concentrating on her own deheading! A little laughter goes a long way for making a difficult job, easier!

Mary is now eating breakfast while listening to Jean explain how to cook prawns. Also had a real treat of eating a fresh cooked prawn! Sweet!!! And into the pot they go! Delicious! Usual job for Rebecca, once the crabs start coming aboard. Good thing to remember if anyone starts getting 'crabby'!!! John is famous for his 'blackened' chicken but there were none for dinner tonight! Tasty though!

Kayaking Adventures and 'other things' in Lagoon Cove

John visited with Pat, during 'happy hour', last night and the usual prawn display was made available to all, like usual; along with Jean's incredible sauce that she always makes with fresh ground horseradish, amongst other ingredients. Remember one year it had a bit much horseradish, but everyone still enjoyed the 'extra' kick and came back for more! Mary and Rebecca had a chance to go exploring in their kayaks, and of course, took lots of pictures! Even though it is a drizzly, rainy day, it is a warm rain and it is quite nice out. Geared up and wrapped up, in different attire, they stayed warm. Yes, Rebecca is in a wetsuit and first time for this summer.
John is visiting with Pat, prior to the 'happy hour' starting... note food dishes on freezer behind them. Pat is a wonderful hostess. Two scenic shots of Lagoon Cove, from up on the hillside, taken by Mary. Two scenic shots of Lagoon Cove, from up on the hillside, taken by Mary.

What is that in the water??? Yep, it is Rebecca, not the Loch Ness Monster! A very wet deer, on the hill looking down at Mary in her kayak. The deer above, was very close to Mary in her kayak, and didn't really appear to be spooked.

Crab on shore, just setting there and when Mary poked it to see if it was alive... it didn't move. Absolutely amazing to see such a clear picture of what lays under the shell of a dungeness crab.  A clear picture showing lungs laying along both of the outer sides. Brownish color, and no innards left! Interesting view of the underside of the dock in Lagoon Cove. Getting out of kayak, and back on board is another learning curve for Mary. Dinghy down, helps, that's for sure!

Lagoon Cove

As many boaters know, Bill Barber passed away April 6, 2013, due to cancer that was very aggressive. The following were pictures that Jean shared while we were visiting with her this afternoon. Pictures on the left and the right were in two different magazines (will get names and page numbers from Jean). The middle two pictures were put together by Bill and Jean's daughter and are a touching and honest protrayal of Bill.
Memorial front page for Bill Barber, was put together by his daughter. Article in magazine that was just released in either May 2013, or June 2013. Another article in magazine that was just released in either May 2013, or June 2013. Memorial back page for Bill Barber, was put together by his daughter, and this picture was taken of Bill, by Jean, on a trip down to Mexico.

Lagoon Cove is one of the places that we always made a point of stopping, and staying at, both northward bound and homeward bound. This picture was taken June 27, 2012 in Lagoon Cove with the following comments in the caption when you click on their picture.
Jean and Bill Barber have been married 56, going on 57 years shortly and are 76 and 77 years old with birthdays coming up soon for both. Owners of Lagoon Cove. This was taken June 27, 2012.

Mary's first vist to Lagoon Cove. We are standing on the deck of Bill and Jean Barber's home where we had an opportunity to sit down and visit with Jean. She is working hard on various projects while continuing to help keep Lagoon Cove running this summer. She is such a gracious lady, but did not let me take her picture at this time due to just having gotten cleaned up from some serious gardening work. You should have seen the piles of pulled weeds, dead plants, etc., waiting to be hauled away for the compost pile. Anyway, she was a wonderful hostess and over coffee, shared information and chatted with us for over an hour. Sounds like there is a game that she and Mary know how to play, that I need to learn called ... something Train. Will get back to you on that one!

Heading to Lagoon Cove

Woke up early and checked weather, really blowing but supposed to calm down later in the morning. Coffee in bed and relaxing. Around 9:25 a.m., while checking the weather, Channel 3 station finally came through clearly and we all heard it state, "Fanny Island wind at 4 knots!" Two of us knew immediately that it meant... "pull the anchor and LET's go!" We were dressed, up, and gone by 9:35 a.m.! Fanny Island is at the end of Sunderland Channel, right where you enter Johnstone Strait and if wind was 4 knts., it was flat water and smooth sailing! Yes! 50 minutes later, we entered Johnstone Strait for the 13 nautical mile run up to Broken Islets. With a strong outgoing tide and the current going our direction, again, we moved along at a brisk 10 to 11 knots. Our normal cruising speed average is around 8.4 knots. Today, when we arrived at Lagoon Cove, we had traveled 33.4 nautical miles, averaging 9.9 knots per hour! We ducked around the backside of Whirlpool Rapids, when we left Forward Hbr., and after rounding the Broken Islets we came up Havannah Channel before entering Chatham Channel at a very low tide. Current still going our direction. Right before entering Lagoon Cove, we had to go the the Blow Hole also at low tide. Careful, cautious and everything is good.
Brunch on the bridge, again, added a little color to the setting. Happy skipper at the helm, as we are heading down Sunderland Channel, for Johnstone Strait. Must have been the 'brunch'! Nothing like being dressed for chilly weather and bright light! Mary is definitely prepared. Images on the water, heading up Johnstone Strait. Can you imagine living there?!!

Closer view of the house on the beach. An old dock, set ashore, and no longer in use. Must be lonely sitting up there all by itself. Floathomes in the same harbor as Lagoon Cove, off to the left, when looking at Lagoon Cove from the water. Different angle... Floathomes in the same harbor as Lagoon Cove, off to the left, when looking at Lagoon Cove from the water.

Forward Harbor

It is always a good day on the water, catching the tide going our direction, especially when it is a lowtide! Went through Gillard Passage, Dent Rapids (bypassing Devil's Hole), passing Frederick Arm, Phillips Arm, and Loughborough Inlet on our right before going through Green Point Rapids. Coming down Chancellor Channel, we could see the wind picking up a little and after John listened to weather report we decided to hang a right up Wellbore Channel for Forward Harbor. Went through Whirlpool Rapids, just before turning right, to enter Forward Harbor. After anchoring, it was very obvious the wind was gusting because the treetops were dancing high above us. Also, a wind blew down Forward Harbor, keeping us swinging nicely on the hook while the waves slapped our bow. Two big sailboats came in and anchored as well, and they were our company for the night. Usually there is 10 to 15 boats anchored in this safe spot. Hmmmm...... will check weather in the morning at 4:30, to see if we can make the run up Johnstone Strait.

As you can see, we had intermittent fog, while traveling during the first half of this trip. By the time we were passing Phillips Arm on our right with Shoal Bay on our left, it had cleared up from the breeze that was picking up.

Big Bay

Left Octopus Islands, o'dark'30... um, I mean at 5:30 this morning, to go through Hole-In-The-Wall just after slack. Any earlier, and we couldn't see. Well, turns out we couldn't see anyway, due to the fog! Fogs and Logs... going to have to write a poem about THAT one! Mary hid out below while John and Rebecca were on the bridge using GPS, iPad, um... Radar... windshield wipers (it was raining too), and anything else available to get through Hole-In-The-Wall with zero visibility and a current slightly against us. That would mean at about 2 to 3 knots. Well, current movement creates tidelines with "lots" of logs, that are most likely going the opposite direction of your boat whilst you are trying to see them, before they see you! Went very smoothly and fog lifted as we hung a left to head up Yuculta Rapids. Nice timing for having current going our direction, at this point and floated along at 14+ knots, at one point. Still difficult to see very much, however; we are familiar with the area and thus were able to find the correct dock to tie up for the night. Arrived at 7:00 a.m. (quick trip huh?) and tied up to take care of wifi, laundry, and other sundry necessities. Of course, due to such a low tide, Mary and Rebecca went exploring on the beach. Not sure where Rebecca is heading! See pics below!

Octopus Islands day two

What a busy day for kayakers, taking pictures of various wildlife! No luck on the crabs and so pulling anchor and heading north again in the morning. Rebecca and Mary sure had a chance to view many different things at lowtide! What did it take to get close to all of the different living beings and be able to take such close up pictures? Way to go, gals! Weren't you tired this evening?!!!!

Octopus Islands, kayaking, and wildlife

Wow, what an amazing day on the water, in the kayaks! Look at them shoes... they are ready to roll! Whew! Looks like a little 'clamming' going on here, too!

Enter Octopus Islands and Anchorage

The entrance to Octopus Islands is gorgeous and well worth taking the time to drop in and look around. We ended up staying two nights, with lots of sightseeing at low tide. John and Mary were on the bow on 'lookout' duty, due to the really low tide and rocks to look out for while traveling down a really narrow channel. Always good to have a 'lookout' on the bow when traversing such pathways! First time for Mary.

Going through Hole-In-The-Wall

This was a new step for Mary, seeing a challenging rapid, up close; when navigated safely at slack works, sure works well for everyone's nerves. Beautiful morning, but definitely a 'cloudy' day! Amazing dock structure that we viewed and were able to get an interesting picture of, prior to entering the narrow channel that goes into Octopus Islands.

Anchored in Marks Bay after fueling in Nanaimo

Rebecca and I had to make a Starbucks run! Can you believe it! Besides needing a caffeine fix, we HAD to get on-line. Beautiful skyline along with quaint shops makes another visit, imperative. We had a chance to check out a few sights, deal with a stormy weather day, and allow John to have a chance to relax and read, while swinging on the hook! Oh, by the way, we are anchored in Marks Bay!

Dodd Narrows

This little house sits on top of a rather large boulder... looking on Dodd Narrows (a rapid you have to be careful about going through at slack, or as close thereof as you can). From a distance it looks like a fairy house. What a great vantage point those occupants have!
Dodd Narrows viewpoint is amazing!

Customs in Bedwell, and north

Pulled up to dock, to go through Customs, in Bedwell Harbor. Poet's Cove in Bedwell Harbor has the custom building on the water-end of the pier. Leaving Bedwell, we had beautiful skies and incoming tide for an easy trip north, to Dodd Narrows.

Beautiful view from stern of boat! Tired skipper, after busy morning planning the trip and clearing customs! Brunch on the Bridge!

Pulled anchor in Prevost at 7:10 a.m., to scoot across and go into Bedwell Harbor to clear all of us through Customs. In and out in 15 minutes. Heading through the Gulf Islands, we picked up the incoming tide, going our direction. Sure helps ease fuel use! Plus, as you can see, a beautiful day. Slack for Dodd Narrows is around 2 pm, but on arriving at 12:30 p.m., it was only going 3 knots, in our direction. Sailed through easily and whirlpools on the other side were minimal.

Off to Prevost Harbor and kayaking

Mary's first kayak trip. We were careful and cautious and wouldn't you know... doggone if we didn't see a young deer nibbling tender pine needles on the beach. A little way further, there was a raccoon on the beach digging clams! Where is our camera? No one is going to believe Mary and Rebecca!!! Then, snuck up on some blue heron perched on a low tide rock, with Rebecca in the water, moving both kayaks slowly to see how close we could get. Beautiful wing spreads when they take off. WHERE is that camera! We left it on the boat!

It is great traveling with Mary onboard. She has seen this part of the trip north on our 32', years ago. Now, onboard the 38' she has more luxuries, including her own stateroom and bathroom! Great water going up the rest of the Swinnomish Channel, down Guemes Channel and across Rosario Strait; before slipping through the San Juan Islands and stopping in NW corner of US/Canadian border on the US side, in Prevost Harbor.

Helping Mary see our destination on the chart, of course she has to take a picture to show location of Prevost Harbor! Beautiful skies and the oil refinery in Anacortes were all parts of our view as we head north for Canada.

Relaxed in La Conner

A little extra time to get caught up on a few things. Now is the learning curve. Mary is learning to wash dishes with as litte water possible, stitching only when the boat is docked to save on pricked fingers. and, most important, wearing socks one extra day is really not such a bad thing! Rebecca is re-organizing the foods (she wants John and Mary to think it will save space, but we know it is so we cannot find anything and then Rebecca has to do all the cooking). Best of all, we are unwinding. The gentle rocking of the boat is soothing. Observing passing pleasure boats, commercial fishing boats and the logging activity across the Swinnomish Channel, is enjoyable to watch. Not to mention the blue heron activity!

Bird in the Bridge!

We had a great trip of 5 hours from the Port of Edmonds to La Conner, not a significant tide change and averaged 8 knots for the first couple of hours, and 9 knots (which is really good for us) the last couple of hours as we picked up more current. John, Rebecca, and Mary (John's sister) and we all shared time at the wheel. Clear skies with intermittent high clouds to break the sun glare. It was music day on the bridge! Heard one Mayday call regarding a 60 foot boat that had run aground, somewhere near Everett, but could not see any boat even using binoculars. As the chatter on Channel 16 continued, they were floating again and no water coming in anywhere. Coast Guard then transferred them to Channel 22 where they then requested their cell phone number to continue making sure everything was okay with that vessel.
Entering La Conner to refuel and than tie up for the night. John and Rebecca refueling the boat with obviously each having a different job to do!

Early start to a beautiful sunny day and two of three, are up and ready to start the boat! Motors started and here comes the third party ready to join the crew!
Mary had a chance to check out different things including totem pole in Sequim at 7 Cedars. Leaving the Port of Edmonds. We are off on the right foot for the summertime fun and relaxation! Heading north and clear sailing.

Kazue, David, and GGs

David and Kazue on their 6th year anniversary, getting ready to go out for a night on the town. They had to round up the little ones first! The next morning, a Great America trip was a surprise for Gma Becca with David, Kazue, Kenneth and Sophia! We all had fun getting wet through different activities and GGs sure enjoyed themself! Kenneth is a non-stop bundle of energy! Sophia is a bouncing, bubbly little girl with the stamina to keep up with her big brother.

Kenneth, David, and Kazue took an innertube trip together, while Sophia was sleeping. This little guy is perpetual motion, and loving the water! Sophia and Kazue on the merry-go-round after her nap. Gma Becca and Sophia took a trip together down the water slide and Sophia wasn't too sure about the big splash.

Crew of Rebecca Ann

Capt. John

1st Mate Rebecca

1st Mate and Cap't

Rebecca and John